Sunday 10 April 2011

Common Mistakes And Confusing English Words

Let's face the fact that we always make this kind of mistakes. A lot of people do this everyday. Nobody's perfect. But the question is; for how long? Here I wish to help where I can, so now I list down a few (of so many) common 'combinations' that have been confusing students (and even teachers!) for quite a time. I wanted to try my best to give the simplest definitions based on the closest contexts possible, but they would look so boring and become too long to read (because they're so many contexts and definitions!). So I decided to choose the most common confusions and define them through simple sentences. If you still can't see the difference, then by all means, hit the dictionary. Have fun reading!

1. Deadline - Dateline

Deadline:
"You must complete the task I've given you by this Friday! That's the deadline!"

Dateline:
The dateline of the news article shows that the incident happened on Friday, 9th April 2011.

2. Affect - Effect

Affect:
"Whatever they do will never affect me in one way or the other!"

Effect:
The tsunami tragedy has given a lot of negative effects on Japan's currency in the stock market.

3. Than - Then

Than:
"I'm sorry to say, but he is better than you."

Then:
"I have to call my brother first, then we go, okay?"

4. You're - Your

You're:
"You're (you are) the most beautiful woman I've ever met!"

Your:
"Your job is to make sure they have everything they need for the trip!"

5. Accept - Except

Accept:
"I'm sorry, but I can't accept your apology for reasons I can't explain."

Except:
"Everyone has submitted their homework, except you!"

6. Advise - Advice

Advise:
"I advise you to stop doing what you're doing now and go home."

Advice:
"I need some advice from you since you've gone through the same experience."

7. Letter - Latter

Letter:
"Where is the postman, mom? Has my letter arrived? I need my letter! My friend from Zimbabwe wrote it for me!"

Latter:
"The students are divided into two classes; those who failed and those who passed. My son is in the latter."

8. Themselves - Theirselves

Themselves:
They have themselves to blame for the terrible accident that happened.

Theirselves:
(this word is an informal word made and used by certain group of people in southern USA - a slang. It does not exist and is grammatically wrong in formal English.)

9. Their - They're

Their:
"My money is mine. Their money is theirs. So I don't care about how they want to spend it!"

They're:
"They're (they are) doing their best to help our son. We should wait outside."

10. Wander - Wonder

Wander:
"I shall wander around the world, the seas, the forests, and the mountains!"

Wonder:
"I wonder why they called it a mystery. Shall we take a look?"

11. Expand - Expend 

Expand:
They expand their house by adding a few more bedrooms.

Expend:
The government will expend the tax money on tightening our national defense.

12. Borrow - Lend

Borrow:
"Do you have an extra pen, dude? Can I borrow it?"

Lend"
"Oh, I'm sorry! I don't have any. Someone already asked me to lend him one just now."

13. Every day - Everyday

Every day:
"A good kid should brush his teeth every day, okay?"

Everyday:
"The problem has gone from bad to worse. It's like an everyday meal now!"

How was it? Get the picture? Why don't you try these ones below. Some of them might be a bit difficult. Good luck!

Complement - Compliment
Discreet - Discrete
Hear - Listen
Stationary - Stationery
Whom - Who
Moral - Morale
Lay - Lie
Heroin - Heroine
Decent - Descent
Allude - Elude
Illicit - Elicit

No comments: